On 3 July 1905, the medical school was founded, and was known as the Straits Settlements and Federated Malay States Government Medical School.
In 1912, the medical school received an endowment of $120,000 from the King Edward VII Memorial Fund, started by Dr Lim Boon Keng.
In September 1904, Tan Jiak Kim led a group of representatives of the Chinese and other non-European communities, and petitioned the Governor of the Straits Settlements, Sir John Anderson, to establish a medical school in Singapore.
Tan, who was the first president of the Straits Chinese British Association, managed to raise $87,077, of which the largest amount of $12,000 came from himself.
Subsequently on 18 November 1913, the name of the school was changed to the King Edward VII Medical School.
In 1921, it was again changed to the King Edward VII College of Medicine to reflect its academic status.
The department of Information Systems offers five undergraduate programmes – Computing in Information Systems, Computing in Electronic Commerce, Concurrent Degree Programme that combines a Bachelor of Computing (in Information Systems) (Honours) from NUS and a Master of Philosophy (Management) from Cambridge University, Concurrent Degree Programme that combines a Bachelor of Computing (in Information Systems) (Honours) from NUS School of Computing and a Master of Science (Management) from the NUS School of Business, as well as a Double Degree Programme, with a Bachelor of Computing (in Information Systems) (Honours) from NUS School of Computing, and a Bachelor of Business Administration / Business Administration (Accountancy) from the NUS School of Business.
The Faculty of Dentistry had its early beginnings in 1929 as a Department of Dentistry within the King Edward VII College of Medicine.
This was done in part due to the government's desire to pool the two institutions' resources into a single, stronger entity, and promote English as Singapore's only main language.
The original crest of Nanyang University with three intertwined rings was incorporated into the new coat-of-arms of NUS.